Thursday, December 30, 2010

Beauty Will Rise


This CD, Beauty Will Rise, from Steven Curtis Chapman, is the most incredible collection of music I have ever heard. Words can't even describe the beauty of this album... From first song to last, it's like listening to a story play out.

When his little girl, Maria Sue, died in a tragic accident, Steven Curtis Chapman channeled his pain, his thoughts, his hope, into his music. Thus, this album was born.

I remember the first time I listened to it the whole way through; it was such an intense emotional experience. I was laying on my bed, in the dark with my headphones in, just listening to the words. Each song is so impactful, with so much emotion poured into it. There were moments while listening where I just couldn't help but sob; other moments simply required silence, and recognition. And then there were the truly beautiful moments, the glimpses of joy and hope that provoked smiles and even a tiny laugh here and there.

The layout of this album is so...real. Yeah, I know, that sounds funny. But what I mean is, it starts out with so much hurt, so much pain that you can't help but to feel it with Steven as he sings. But by the very last song, you realize that the hope, and the promise of seeing his Maria Sue again outweighs the pain. By the end, you've heard the faith that Steven has, that leads him to sing out "You are faithful", "I will trust You", to our Savior. The very last song, "Spring is Coming" is just the most perfect ending to this album; it's uplifting, and tells of how spring is coming! The darkness and dreariness cannot last forever...and we have the promise that spring is coming.

This CD is like a book of psalms...and the words are wonderful. There have been so many times where I've been feeling down, or negative, or whatever, and like a Bible verse would pop into your head, so do Steven's words.

Give this album a try; you won't regret it. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by! Remember: I *always* love to hear your comments, whether positive or negative, short or long, relevant or non-relevant! So don't be afraid to chime in! ;)
PS, sweet friends: I do ask that you watch your language as you share those lovely thoughts...let's do our best to be honoring to our God!

~Lauren :)